Best used for:
Meditation and self-reflection
Insight to problems and removing energetic blocks
- Provides a protective shield against negativity— clears and transmutes negative energy while grounding and balancing the energy within a space
- Soothes unstable moods and brings peace and calm, patience and compassion
- Strengthens the mind, increases focus and clarity, promotes wise decision-making, helps to uncover hidden truths
- Heightens psychic awareness, activates clairvoyance; can be used in scrying, other forms of divination, and in spiritual work
- Allows access to past life recall, and strengthens mediumship talents for spirit communication
- A stone of deep insight and introspection; allows one to face uncomfortable truths, to embrace all sides of a person’s past to move forward in resolving issues— brings to light what must be let go of or healed to grow; helps in accepting responsibility
- Encourages willpower, determination; supports one in overcoming fears
- Obsidian (SiO2 + MgO, Fe3O4) is volcanic glass: a mixture of cryptocrystalline silica minerals in an amorphous glass-like suspension with trace elements of Magnesium Oxide and Iron Oxide
- When minute inclusions of water vapor gas bubbles are trapped within the rapidly cooling volcanic glass extrusions— reflected light off these internal surfaces will be visible as a gold or silver sheen
- Archaeological evidence suggests, Obsidian was already widely being used to produce cutting tools from as early as Paleolithic times, 1.4 million years ago
- Obsidian occurs worldwide, wherever there has been volcanic activity, though pieces older than a few million years are rare due to the glassy rock being destroyed or altered when exposed to the elements
Obsidian comes from Latin, obsidianus, a misprint in the 1650s of Obsianus Lapis, or stone of Obsius, the name of the Roman credited in the book Naturæ Historiæ (Naturalis Historia) written by naturalist and philosopher, Pliny the Elder in 77 CE, as being the one who found the stone in Ӕthiopia
Hardness: 5 - 5.5
Suggested Cleansing Methods: Moonlight, Sunlight, Sage Smudge / Incense, Sage Spray / Energy Spray, Sea Salt (Dry), Sea Water / Salt Water, Fresh Water
Caution: Use no ultrasonic cleaners; avoid drastic temperature changes; stone also easily chips on impact
Stones are natural and may differ slightly in appearance from shown example.
✰ This information serves as a quick guide of subjective metaphysical properties for crystals & gemstones formed through personal experience as well as research of historical and cultural customs & practices. Each person is unique and will experience crystals in their own way depending on their life’s experiences.
✰ Crystals and gemstones are tools used for living a more positive life and should be used to empower yourself to transform and grow. We possess within ourselves everything that we need to live life fully. Crystals and gemstones serve as a visual and energetic tool to help us on our path. We should not give our power away to them. They are not meant to be a substitute for medical attention.