Best used for:
Protection against negativity
Strengthening the mind and good decision-making
- Excellent protection: absorbs and traps negativity— be sure to cleanse the stone often in challenging times
- Traditionally connected with the influences of Saturn: very grounding and centering; cools emotions and sharpens mental focus while simulating wise decision-making
- Promotes independence, inner-strength, willpower, courage, fortitude, tenacity, determination, self-control, self-mastery
- Conquers fears in pursuit of goals, helps one to realize their full potential and to make manifest their dreams
- Helps in recognizing and disconnecting from negative influences; supports moving beyond outgrown patterns, habits, and relationships that no longer serve
- Allows letting go, eases separation, and encourages moving on when needed; was frequently worn in Victorian times to help process and heal grief in times of loss and mourning
- Activates psychic ability and clairvoyance
- A variety of Chalcedony, a cryptocrystalline form of silica composed of fine intergrowths of Quartz and Mogánite, two silica minerals (SiO2) with slightly different growth structures
- Onyx traditionally and technically features straight parallel banding of black & white or brown & white— any other type of banding and it would be classified as an Agate instead; this parallel banding was used by masterful artisans in Cameo engraving dating back to as early as 5th century BC, Greece, where they were used in creating a foreground subject with a contrasting background carved in a single piece
- Evidence of Onyx use dates back to as early as the Second Dynasty Egypt, prior to 2500 BCE
- Black Onyx is typically treated/dyed Chalcedony, a common practice since ancient Roman times— pieces were boiled in sugar solutions then soaked in acid to carbonize the sugars to dye the stone
- The description of “Onyx” or “Onyx-Marble” has been loosely and incorrectly used by the commercial stone and building industry for the fine-grained banded deposits of calcite used in construction and carved goods, this has led to much confusion
Hardness: 6.5 - 7
Suggested Cleansing Methods: Moonlight, Sunlight, Sage Smudge / Incense, Sage Spray / Energy Spray, Sea Salt (Dry), Sea Water / Salt Water, Fresh Water
(Avoid ultrasonic cleaners - may damage stone)
Stones may differ slightly in appearance from shown example.
✰ This information serves as a quick guide of subjective metaphysical properties for crystals & gemstones formed through personal experience as well as research of historical and cultural customs & practices. Each person is unique and will experience crystals in their own way depending on their life’s experiences.
✰ Crystals and gemstones are tools used for living a more positive life and should be used to empower yourself to transform and grow. We possess within ourselves everything that we need to live life fully. Crystals and gemstones serve as a visual and energetic tool to help us on our path. We should not give our power away to them. They are not meant to be a substitute for medical attention.